BreakAwayForum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BreakAwayForum

Break away from mind confines and be Free to explore yourself and us all

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Empty
PostSubject: LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 2:48 pm

A number of disciples went to the Buddha and said, Sir, there are living here in Savatthi many
wandering hermits and scholars who indulge in constant dispute, some saying that the world
is infinite and eternal and others that it is finite and not eternal, some saying that the soul
dies with the body and others that it lives on forever, and so forth. What, sir, would you say
concerning them?" The Buddha answered, "once upon a time there was a certain raja who
called to his servant and said, 'Come, good fellow, go and gather together in one place all the
men of Savatthi who were born blind...and show them an elephant.' 'Very good sire, ' replied
the servant, and he did as he was told. He said to the blind men assembled there, 'Here is an
elephant,' and to one man he presented the head of the elephant, to another it's ears, to
another a tusk, to another the trunk, the foot, back, tail, and tuft of the tail, saying to each one
that that was the elephant. When the blind men had felt the elephant, the raja went to each,
'Well, blind man, have you seen the elephant? Tell me, what sort of thing is an elephant?"
"Thereupon the men who were presented with the head answered, 'Sire, an elephant is like a
pot. And the men who had observed th ear replied, 'An elephant is like a winnowing basket.'
Those who had been presented with a task said it was a ploughshare. Those who knew only the
trunk said it was a plough; others said the body was a grainery; the foot, a pillar; the back a
mortar; the tail, a pestle, the tuft of the tail, a brush. "Then they began to quarrel, shouting,
'Yes it is!' 'No, it is not!' 'An elephant is not like that!' 'Yes, it's like that!' And so on, till they
came to blows over the matter. "Brethren, the raja was delighted with the scene. "Just so are
these preachers and scholars holding views blind and unseeing...

Last edited by lightsun on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: lightsun chosen quotes wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 2:59 pm

In their ignorance they are by nature quarrelsome, wrangling, and disputatious, each
maintaining reality I thus and thus." Then the Exalted One rendered this meaning by uttering
this verse of uplift, O how they cling and wrangle, some who claim For preacher and monk the
honored name! For, quarreling, each to his view they cling. Such folk see only one side
of a thing. Jainism and Buddhism. Udana 68-69: Parable of the Blind Men and the
Elephant
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Lightsun's quotes   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 4:37 pm

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Christianity. Matthew 5.5-10.

Last edited by lightsun on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: lightsun's quotes   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Comments and discussion are more than welcomed. All of these quotes have wisdom to offer. I will not
choose, nor give preference to one religion or lay person over another. I respect people's various faiths, or
lack of faith, for that matter. I will admittedly look at these quotes metaphorically and not
literally.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: lightsun's quotes   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 8:00 pm

The story of the elephant just goes to show that we can only see part of the truth. We
apparently need each other to help balance out our blind spots. It is my premise that we all
have blind spots. This is scary to me. If I am blind in an area, I won't know it. It will be a
complete gaping hole in my awareness. Therefore I may act irrationally defending a point
with verbal and perhaps physical violence, to defend my "truth."
I have a fail safe. I have the analogy of the warning engine light. If I have a negative emotion,
and my body is not directly being affected, then I am thinking distortedly. The negative
emotion and the warning engine light are synonymous. I have a negative emotion, then there
Is an internal problem. I have had my bind spot triggered. A fear or my ego has been
triggered, & I am experiencing a negative emotion. Rather than acting out against reality
like the blind men, look within and correct your reasoning. Correct the distorted thoughts,
and deal with the external situation with reason and compassion.
Thus one grows and stays on the path of self actualization.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 9:51 am

lightsun:

feeling your warm welcome
know how much it is appreciated
here
and now

the buddhist stories are so charming in their wisdom.
i know times spent there, yet they seem distant to
this incarnation of mine

i live in an occidental country with a history of brutal power struggles
\!!
yet the christian faith supposedly one of the pillars of cultural attempts
at civilization.

so much i wish to comfortably say about where i come from.

so glad to meet you all here. I love you
[b]

Last edited by lavender orchid on Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: lightsun's quote   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2009 7:34 pm

I am glad you are here. You bring wisdom, insight, and light.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 8:42 am

lightsun wrote:
The story of the elephant just goes to show that we can only see part of the truth. We
apparently need each other to help balance out our blind spots. It is my premise that we all
have blind spots. This is scary to me. If I am blind in an area, I won't know it. It will be a
complete gaping hole in my awareness. Therefore I may act irrationally defending a point
with verbal and perhaps physical violence, to defend my "truth."
I have a fail safe. I have the analogy of the warning engine light. If I have a negative emotion,
and my body is not directly being affected, then I am thinking distortedly. The negative
emotion and the warning engine light are synonymous. I have a negative emotion, then there
Is an internal problem. I have had my bind spot triggered. A fear or my ego has been
triggered, & I am experiencing a negative emotion. Rather than acting out against reality
like the blind men, look within and correct your reasoning. Correct the distorted thoughts,
and deal with the external situation with reason and compassion.
Thus one grows and stays on the path of self actualization.

ahh lightsun, you are saying it well.

whatever i am reading, and hearing, there's an inner "other" to reason belonging and having it to and with...
elephant
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Lightsun' s quotes wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 4:19 pm

I will try to do an abc quotes of wisdom. An A-Z format, or it may just be which one the universe selects.
A for ACTUALIZE:

The self is the maker and non-maker, and itself makes happiness and misery, is its own friend and its own
foe, decides its own condition good or evil, and is its own river Veyarana (the river in which hell-beings
are tormented).
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: lightsun quotes   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 4:54 pm

There are many ways I can look at this. First of all, these verses are not my words. I don't always agree with
everything written. It is just some part of the verse spoke to me. I am against hell fire, eternal
damnation & torture chamber run by demons. I can't and don't believe it.
The second point is are we masters of our own destiny? Can people change or are we molded
at childhood? That is hard behaviorism. That an evil person was shaped to be evil & is only a
pawn of human destiny. That they are tests for us, to rise above evil, and not sink to their
level.
If we take the verse written, we are masters of our own destiny. We are our best friend and
worst enemy. I believe this part with an exception. This holds true for adults. This does not
in my mind apply to children who are not yet fully formed and are at the mercy or kind graces
of their parents.
The way in my mind to greater happiness is to react with reason and compassion, to the best
of our abilities, in any given situation. This is how we grow, evolve, self actualize and become
better people. We are then a light. A role model. We spread happiness, joy, calm, reason,
kindness, and love to those around us. And as a result we also reap what we soe.
Call it Karma. The universe gives back.
Also for every action,there is an equal reaction.
I we react with negative, irrational, angry, & hateful energy, we will witness a backlash.
For we are all mini-gods. Will you be a small, baby god spreading goodness and so receive lopve?
Will you be a destroyer, a cancer to others and thus yourself, caught in your own private hell?
According to the verse we have the power to make or break us.
Will we be mini-gods of benevolence, peace & joy?
Or will we react out of ignorance & fear instead?
The choice is ours. What is in your heart? Choose your destiny wisely.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: lightsun's chosen quotes   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 5:26 pm

B for BUDDHA-LIKE/CHRIST-LIKE:
Since all Dharmas are immanent in our mind there is no reason why we should not realize
intuitively the real nature of suchness. The Bodhisattva Sila Sutra says, "Our essence of mind
is intrinsically pure, and if we know our mind and realized what our nature is, all of us would
attain Buddhahood.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Lightsun's chosen   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 5:50 pm

I believe just like we have a genetic blueprint in our DNA, there also is a blueprint for reason there. This is why
on the sites I have been on, I have been non-arguementative and non-defensive. What I wrote is right or
perhaps not. I listen to reason & logic. I greatly appreciate the efforts of Romana, who's precision in thought
and reason has helped me refine a point on how I say things. Conversely, what the other person says is
either right or wrong. A key is reason versus negativity. I have already stated that a negative,angry,blaming
approach is distorted. Still I am on a path. I try to learn from someone more enlightened than myself.
But, if I am further on the path, I still can learn from others who may not be so far on the path.
This is why, with an angry individual I still strive to find some truth in their statement. I will then dialogue
with that person. We will communicate on that element of truth or reason. Thus dialogue, communication,
possibly respect and even friendship can be established. Hopefully, the other can learn from me & so I help
a brother or sister on the path.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: CHILD   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 4:45 pm

C for CHILD
For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect ; but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will
pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child ; when I
become a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know
In part ; then I shall understand fully.
Back to top Go down
Tuesday
Designated center-fielder
Designated center-fielder

PostSubject: Re: LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:09 pm

lightsun wrote:
C for CHILD
For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect ; but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will
pass away. When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child ; when I
become a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know
In part ; then I shall understand fully.

From St Paul's epistles in the New Testament of the Bible? How Heroic! I Corinthians, verses 1-13 exemplifies love personified. It's such a beautiful and multifabricated world if only we give ourselves to falling in love with it
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: C for CHILD   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:17 pm

I go back to the adage of blessed are the peacemakers as well as blessed are the meek. For now
we see but dimly, like in Plato's of shadows. We do not know our final destination. We can only
plot our course, based on what we can see now. I will look at the time of Socrates, and exclaim
that we have not evolved spiritually since then. Even though technologically we have exploded
into the future. For me, to evolve, based on what I can see, we need to develop communication
skills, mutual respect, and understanding. It sounds so simple. Yet we will have to strive to get
there. I do not think any of us will be able to see the entire picture. For that we will need each
other. We will have to respect each other & rely on each others judgment. For we will have to
pool each others areas of expertise and focus on a common goal. For that we will have to learn
to communicate and stop fighting each other. Until we can do that, learn to communicate,
respect, and understand each other, we will be in the dark ages of human spirituality.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: lightsun's quotes.   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Hello Tuesday. It is a pleasure meeting you. Yes, you recognize the verse. There is much beauty
and wisdom in inspired writings throughout the world. I do not know you well yet, however
welcome to the forum. I fee like since we are meeting to introduce myself. I am in the
introductions center. Perhaps if you write something about yourself there, we will all get to
know you better. Thanks for the post. I echo those sentiments. I look forward to any lessons I
can learn from you and the others on the forum. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: D for DIVINITY   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 6:11 pm

D for DIVINITY
Divinity is that which was there before the appearance of heaven and earth, and which gives
form to them ; that which surpasses the Yin and the Yang, yet has the quality of them. This
divinity is thus the absolute existence, governing the entire universe of heaven and earth, yet
at the same time, it dwells within all things, where it is called spirit ; omnipresent within
human beings, it is called mind. In other words, human mind communes with the divinity which
is ruler of heaven and earth ; mind and divinity are one and the same. Divinity is the root origin
of heaven and earth, the spiritual nature of all things, and the source of human destiny. Itself
without form, it is divinity which nurtures thing with form.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: D for Divinity   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 6:22 pm

This goes back to my theory that everything is interrelated in the universe. We are interrelated
with each other and can influence each other with either positive or negative energy. Or in
other words with beneficent or malicious intentionality. Being that we are interconnected, we
can tap into the universal energy hidden within us. The conduit being our brain, focus, &
intentionality.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:09 pm

adding to your
wisdom and compassion..

LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom ET
ecliptical trinity from: eminencemeadows
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:42 pm

from Charge of the Goddess

Hear the words of the Star Goddess, the dust of Whose feet are the hosts of Heaven, whose body encircles the universe:

I Who am the beauty of the green earth and the white moon among the stars and the mysteries of the waters, I call upon your soul to arise and come unto me. For I am the soul of nature that gives life to the universe. From Me all things proceed and unto Me they must return. Let My worship be in the heart that rejoices, for behold, all acts of love and pleasure are My rituals. Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you. And you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without. For behold, I have been with you from the beginning, and I am That which is attained at the end of desire.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: lightsun   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 4:03 pm

These parts most call to my inner spirit. They are the most beautiful, in that they
call to me & have a resonance deep in my mind, heart, and soul. They speak of poignant
truths. Truths that the children of the earth understand,for it is imprinted upon their hearts.
It is an intuitive awareness of the universal order of things. The most, deepest truth, is that
truth, God or the universe lays within us. The best form of ritual or worship is to love each
other.
"....green earth and the white moon among the stars and the mysteries of the
waters, I call upon your soul to arise...." "...acts of love and pleasure are My rituals
Let there be beauty and strength, power, and compassion, honor and humility, mirth
and reverence within you." "....you find not within yourself, you will never find it without...."
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 2:03 pm

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how
to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." by Lao-Tzu c. 600 bce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 2:09 pm

lightsun wrote:
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how
to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." by Lao-Tzu c. 600 bce

LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Angelfish bom
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 2:13 pm

"The most difficult thing in life is to know thyself." Thales c. 635/620-546/543 BCE
in Diogenes Laertius, Lives and Opinions of Eminent Philosophers
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Hey lavender. sunny LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom TT007
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom   LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

LightSun's chosen quotes of wisdom
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next