BreakAwayForum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BreakAwayForum

Break away from mind confines and be Free to explore yourself and us all

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Learning lifes lessons eh?

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

Learning lifes lessons eh? Empty
PostSubject: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 7:04 am

Lets have some fun. Lets laugh at ourselves and see what we can teach other and ourselves through our laughter...I may have enough social skills to only cover the point of a thumb tack but I can be endearing at least with my sense of humour.

An evening at the Rosicrucian...giggle

It was a big deal to me...there are generations of men and women in my family who have lived their lives bettering the community and themselves through lifelong commitments to various groups. I am expected to do the same.
Not just satisfied with following my grandmother and her group I went looking through our history to see if a different group of past interest presented more interest to me.
Low and behold, I found the Rosicrucian Soc., its been 70 years or so that I know of that a family member was involved. She was an interesting woman who lead a very interesting life.
It interested me to follow some footsteps into the past and hopefully get a glimpse of what she saw. Off to the Rosicrucian Soc. I went, or so I thought. Laughing
Its important to remember I don't conform easily.
So, dutiful and mindful, I made the contact with a local ( local being a 3 hour drive away ) branch and received a welcome. The meeting being the first week of January, 6 weeks into the future from my current date at that time. This gave me way too much time to consider what I was doing in retrospect.
Over that 6 week period all sorts of things crossed my mind...from the mundane fact of coping with a 6 hour drive which means a lot of ache for me to how was I ever going to honestly state that I believed in any of the Gods this group represents. Mmmm... scratch
There is a awful lot of interest on my part to fully understand the group but not perhaps as fully committed as would be the best. At most to me it would be a true respect of the faith and a satisfaction merely to know the doctrines well from an intellectual position. They cover so many ancient texts, it is truly fascinating.
You would have to think, that a room full of people, if true to their doctrines, would pretty much know right away what a persons motivation is. They would know that while I held no malice, there would be no true belief. Yes... scratch

The big day arrives, talk about butterflies in my belly. I am an introvert who had weeks to reason a way out of this, weeks to come up with an excuse not to go...in the end, I couldn't justify one.
So I popped a few Advil, sat down at the computer and reread the email and copied off the map. During that process I have to note that I read that email at least 4-5 times.... Question
It kind of freaked me out to go out to the city where the meeting was being held. I am a country girl, there are some places I just don't belong. Dark unfamiliar city streets I must come say close to the top of that list. Oh well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and so if it killed me it just wouldn't matter and if I survived I'd be stronger. With that in mind I started the car.
I need to interject at this point the realization that I have not given proper justice to the overall overwhelming feeling of not wanting to meet these people. How distracted I had been for days knowing that I was going to force myself to do this against my own will.

Through hill and vale and dank dingy city streets I went. Proud of my determination and scared out of my wits. Low and behold, out of a long line of tall looming buildings, this little house appears with a little sign designating it has the groups meeting house. What a relief, it was exactly 2 minutes till meeting time and I had only gotten lost once and was so happy that all I had to do to get directions was roll my window down a bit versus actually getting out of the car. Boy I can be a whimp...
In the little parking lot I parked and paid. Around the front was another little sign saying 'meet us down here' pointing down the stairs. Down I went. It was somewhere around the bottom of those stairs that I was hit by a wall of fear. It was palpable, didn't do much for making me feel comfortable.
Regardless, through the doors at the bottom I went. They led me into a little vestibule that at one end boasted a set of double doors carved in Egyptian relief. Very nice.
After a moment to take in the artwork and ambiance, neither reflecting each other, I wandered over to the double doors. They opened outward on me very fast and 2 people were standing in the opening with a guarded stance and looked at me with fear and questioning while at the same time extending a hand for a shake and demanding to know who I was. A little taken aback by the reception and overall feeling of the situation, I stammered out my name with my handshake and explained why I was there.
They had no idea I was coming. Had no idea who I was and why I would be there on that night. They moved me away from the doors and shut them, then proceeded to try and understand what I was telling them. After about 5 uncomfortable minutes of grilling they came to the conclusion that if I was supposed to be there it would of been tomorrow night, not tonight and even after a 3 hour drive I wasn't allowed to sit and rest. I was hovered over until I was out the main doors and gone.

You know, I didn't even cry when I got back in the car. Brings to mind the song 'You do it to yourself' by Radiohead... scratch I realize, that if in the beginning I had just followed my nature none of this would of happened. Long and short of this lesson...no matter how hard I try to be other than what I am it will never work. In the absence of connection to my consciousness it did not forget me. I read that email too many times to have not caught the date eh? Laughing

Honestly, I could never belong to anything that carried so much fear. They are interesting but I don't belong there. flower

Birds
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 am

Prettybirds wrote:
You would have to think, that a room full of people, if true to their doctrines, would pretty much know right away what a persons motivation is. They would know that while I held no malice, there would be no true belief.
Perhaps not, or your lack of malice might be enough. Some years ago, I went to my first meeting of a group that was unlike anything I had been involved in before. Like you, I knew no one there, and had corresponded only by email with the organizers, using screen names at that. It was only an hour from home, in a part of the city to which I rarely went. I was tense in my own way, wary and vigilant, but secure in the defenses and public persona I maintain (introvert coping strategies, to be sure). I went for a specific purpose, or so I told myself, to learn something specific. I did not have to embrace the beliefs, just listen and participate respectfully and with an open mind. But as I continued to attend subsequent meetings, I found myself pondering: if one pretends long enough and well enough, does one eventually become what one has pretended?
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 8:21 am

That is an interesting question. IMO it would basically come down to a compromise of morals. As long as you can live with the outcome it is human nature to find a comfortable story to identify with both personally and socially.
Depending on a persons make-up, depending on how involved internally with an idea of self or idea of group.

Pretending is important. It is that process that allows us to have a glimpse of all possibility. It gives us motivation to become something. To become what we envision/imagine/pretend.

Pretending as a coping strategy, well this could have a different light. That picture of the Monk in the yellow robe balanced between the tree trunks...in essence he is imagining the pain as being either controllable or of something all together different.

Pretending as a fight or flight response. Perhaps it is ingrained instinctively within us the be able to conform with our outer shell to feel safe and accepted. To act as if you are one thing, of one belief, when in fact you are totally different.

I think that if you become what you have pretended, well, it must be because you have begun to believe it.
It is a smart person who must carry faith around for awhile before deciding to believe.
As the Olympic athlete who has for years carried faith that that one day it would be him that stood on the gold winning podium. He pretended for years to a winner, then spent years training because of that faith. Through those years of training and competition he began to develop that faith into a belief that he actually could be that winner. That belief carried him on to that winning podium.

Birds
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 8:57 am

Would you be interested in searching through the images of tarot cards and picking an image that represents your astrological sign. For me as a Sag. it is Temperance.

I think it would be interesting to put our cards on the table and discuss what each card represents and how it applies to each of us individually. It could be a wonderful exercise in self knowledge....

Hugs for all of you cheers I love you
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Prettybirds wrote:
Would you be interested in searching through the images of tarot cards and picking an image that represents your astrological sign. For me as a Sag. it is Temperance.
I would be willing to do this, but my experience with Tarot is very limited. I do not know that I would be able to identify which card corresponds to my sign. Then again, there are many systems of astrology. Would it matter which one was used?
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi Romana, I am so glad you want to do this....

Here is a depiction of Tarot and Astrology that I tend to sway towards. It really doesn't matter what deck or handbook you choose as the meanings of the cards are universal.

Emperor - Aries
'Begin at the beginning' the King said gravely, and go on till you come to the end and; then stop.
Hierophant - Taurus
If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite.
Lovers - Gemini
My face in thine eye, thine in mine appears, and true plain hearts do the faces rest. Where can we find two better hemispheres without sharp north and declining west? Whatever dies was not mixed equally; if our two loves be one, or, thou and I love so alike that none do slacken, none can die.
Chariot - Cancer
To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive and true success is labour.
Strength - Leo
Out of the strong, came forth sweetness.
Hermit - Virgo
That content surpassing wealth, the sage in meditation found and walked with inward glory crowned.
Justice - Libra
Order is heaven's first law.
Death - Scorpio
For that which is born death is certain, for which is dead, birth is certain. Therefore grieve not over that which is unavoidable.
Temperance - Sagittarius
That which is below is like unto that which is above, and that which is above is like unto that which is below. To achieve the wonders of the 'One thing'.
Devil - Capricorn
What was he doing, the great God Pan, he appeared as Pan the merry, goat footed, son of Hermes who wandered in high rocky places and danced with wood nymphs.
Star - Aquarius
The stars, that nature hung in heaven and filled their lamps with ever lasting oil to give light to the mislead and lonely traveler.
Moon - Pisces
She is the ruler of the tides of flux and reflux. The waters of the Great Sea answer unto her, likewise the tides of all earthly seas, and she ruleth the nature of woman.
Back to top Go down
Mayflow
Starfleet Commander
Starfleet Commander
Mayflow

PostSubject: Tarot   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 3:33 pm

At the bottom of the front page of this forum is the list of members of the Mayville freedom fleet of united forums. Long time friend Lori Anne runs the Gypsy Garden. Discussions like this would likely fare well there and maybe some free Tarot readings as well. I am a member there as well as Lightsun and Lavender. Here is the reading Lori did for me... http://thegypsygarden.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,1327.0.html

Like, Feel free to check out Lori's forum. If you like it here, you will likely like it there! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 3:40 pm

Here is a little more to lay out on the table flower

The element of Fire contained in the suit of Wands. Aries, Leo and Sagittarius
Aries: Ace, two and three of Wands
Leo: Four, five and six of Wands
Sagittarius: Seven, eight and nine of Wands.

The element of Earth contained in the suit of Pentacles. Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn
Capricorn: Ace, two and three of Pentacles
Taurus: Four, five ans six of Pentacles
Virgo: Seven, eight and nine of Pentacles

The element of Air contained in the suit of Swords. Gemini, Libra and Aquarius
Gemini: Seven, eight and nine of Swords
Libra: Ace, two and three of Swords
Aquarius: Four, five and six of Swords

The element of Water contained in the suit of Cups. Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces
Cancer: Ace, two and three of Cups
Scorpio: Four, five and six of Cups
Pisces: Seven, eight and nine of Cups
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Thank-you for the invite Mayflo. I will see you there Smile
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 pm

If you would like to pick a card, I will start a dialog on the meaning to inspire us to see how it applies to life. Perhaps your own sign...
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 7:16 pm

My sign is Virgo, the Hermit. But what of the other cards - the fool, the magician, etc? What is the origin of the correspondence between the conventional signs and the cards you listed?
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Romana, the rest of the cards are attributed to the ruling planets, sorry I forgot to include those. After I touch upon the Hermit I will write out the rest. As to origins...good question. I don't really follow one doctrine as opposed to another. I have read many versions of both astrology and tarot over the years and have settled with what I am writing out because of its good analogy between the individual cards/astrological signs and their practicality. I fully encourage you as we work through the various cards to accompany our discussions with internet searches on topic as well. Many different renditions overlap and expand each other, some will speak to you as truth and others will seem foggy.
Instincts will prevail...

The Hermit

The Hermit or religious recluse, is a familiar figure in many religions. He symbolizes the need to withdraw from the world for awhile to contemplate the meaning of life. By deliberately isolating himself, he is able to concentrate completely on union with spiritual powers. A Hermit retires to the wilderness, to the top of a lonely mountain, or a distant cave for his solitary home. Here he learns inner wisdom and listens to the voice of his higher self.Most Hermits in Tarot are carrying a torch/lamp. The symbol of spiritual light and knowledge.

This card is paired with Virgo the virgin, which governs the 6th house of the natural zodiac. Virgo is traditionally the sign of work and service to others. These ideas are found in the Hermit too, but here they also have a spiritual meaning. Selfless service is a way to rid ourselves of arrogance and conceit. As such, it is used by Buddhism and Christianity, amongst others, as a means of purifying the soul. Nine is the number of the Hermit, a number of completion, creativity and the universe. The Fool has learnt many things on his journey, the next stage of initiation has been reached but he must sit quietly for awhile.

Practical application...it signifies a need to be alone in order to think, perhaps you have finished a project and need to think about whats next. It may show an increased desire to enlighten yourself either in the moment or life spanning. The Hermit makes a good teacher and sometimes points to another person who is/will teach you. The Hermit warns of thoughtless action. Take as much time as you need and consider every angle. Silence is golden as it illuminates the path ahead. When shown in a spread reversed ( up side down )it shows a life of empty chatter and a fear to be alone. The need for noise, distractions for fear of looking to deep inside. Suggests not to reject advice given. Sometimes can portray an obstinance and a refusal to listen. A reversed Hermit tells you to re-examine your life and your preoccupations.
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Virgo the element of Earth, seven, eight and nine of Pentacles. Ruling Planet Mercury the Magician.

Seven can hint at unconcious or repressed talent. Is linked with progress and change, for instance, describes our progress from birth to death. Success, honours, victory and rewards for hard work are often present. Often worried. Can get trapped in unsuccessful and underpaid jobs because of fundamental satisfactions.

Eight refers to structures and foundations. It is a strong masculine number denoting change for progress rather change for the sake of change. The number eight is associated with the Planet Saturn, curiously the number is linked to good judgement and and strength in numerology and also has ties to both Justice and Strength in some Tarots. The eights bring welcome clarity after the confusion inherant in the sevens. It is a number of destiny, karma, as you have sown so shall you reap, instant kind of karma. The eights represent two extremes, growth and restriction - gain and sacrifice.

Nine is the last single number and as such represents and end of a cycle. It is a feminine number signifying love and prosperity and the ability to attract both. The number nine is associated with the muses of classical Greek mythology of which there were three then tripled to nine. Each presiding over a facet of learning and inspiration. Nine tells you to reassess, not to rest on laurels but to strive for perfection on every level. Nine reminds you to be self-sufficent and to feel complete without other peoples aproval. A green thumb is likely.

flower
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 9:44 pm

Prettybirds wrote:
Virgo the element of Earth, seven, eight and nine of Pentacles. Ruling Planet Mercury the Magician.

Seven can hint at unconcious or repressed talent. Is linked with progress and change, for instance, describes our progress from birth to death. Success, honours, victory and rewards for hard work are often present. Often worried. Can get trapped in unsuccessful and underpaid jobs because of fundamental satisfactions.

Eight refers to structures and foundations. It is a strong masculine number denoting change for progress rather change for the sake of change. The number eight is associated with the Planet Saturn, curiously the number is linked to good judgement and and strength in numerology and also has ties to both Justice and Strength in some Tarots. The eights bring welcome clarity after the confusion inherant in the sevens. It is a number of destiny, karma, as you have sown so shall you reap, instant kind of karma. The eights represent two extremes, growth and restriction - gain and sacrifice.

Nine is the last single number and as such represents and end of a cycle. It is a feminine number signifying love and prosperity and the ability to attract both. The number nine is associated with the muses of classical Greek mythology of which there were three then tripled to nine. Each presiding over a facet of learning and inspiration. Nine tells you to reassess, not to rest on laurels but to strive for perfection on every level. Nine reminds you to be self-sufficent and to feel complete without other peoples aproval. A green thumb is likely.

flower

Sad dunno any better, huh?
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 10:09 pm

Lavender Orchid Question
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Prettybirds wrote:
Hi Romana, the rest of the cards are attributed to the ruling planets, sorry I forgot to include those. After I touch upon the Hermit I will write out the rest. As to origins...good question. I don't really follow one doctrine as opposed to another. I have read many versions of both astrology and tarot over the years and have settled with what I am writing out because of its good analogy between the individual cards/astrological signs and their practicality.
So did you develop this set of correspondences yourself, then?
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 7:34 am

Hi Romana, no I did not write this myself. It is a combination of a few different books on Tarot. Even after all these years I still look for new interpretations. That is part of the fun for me I guess.

Does anything yet about the Hermit ring true to you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 8:00 am

isn't this world fast becoming one oversized hermit-age beyond all dreams of redemption?
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 8:16 am

Do we need redemption from hermitization?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 8:20 am

is the question already equal to the answer?
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 8:33 am

That is in essence what I asked you. You have such a wonderful ability to use words to explain and question please do not be afraid of wasting words on me as they will be well received, not shunned even if questioned.

Warmth and hugs you emotional beauty.

Birds
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 8:54 am

Prettybirds wrote:
That is in essence what I asked you. You have such a wonderful ability to use words to explain and question please do not be afraid of wasting words on me as they will be well received, not shunned even if questioned.

Warmth and hugs you emotional beauty.

Birds

yes, i can sense-perceive you this way. the "feelings" (emotions) you thus e-? pro-?voke include a strong desire for long-lasting exchanges. were it not for such enormous encouragement on your part, my tendency to retreat (with or without resorting to sadness; with or without venting anger) to realms between absorption and reflection of impressions could likely "get the better" of "me" ripped to shreds (these are interactive "forces", energies, powers!).

sometimes, or rather often, emotional swings happen within nano seconds.. Very Happy
this goes to you, in hopefully adequate description:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFd-jyarVvo

btw. personally, i prefer the original version, and after 25 years can only stress its synchronicity with the meaning of 1984.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMm78EvKc3Y
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 9:13 am

Tarot and their ruling planets....

Fool- Uranus
Over rough and smooth she trips along and never looks behind, and sings a solitary song
Magician - Mercury
In practice the magic art may be employed for the benefit either of the individual or of the whole community. The public magician occupies a position of great influence.
High Priestess - Moon
And thou who thinkest to seek for me know thy seeking and yearning shall avail thee not, unless you know the mystery.
Empress - Venus
Rise up my love, my fair one and come away. For lo the winter has past and the rain is over and gone
Wheel of Fortune - Jupiter
Free will is the ability to do gladly that which I must do
Hanged Man - Neptune
I know I hung on that windy tree, swung there for nine long days....myself an offering to myself, bound to that tree
Tower - Mars
It is the business of the future to be dangerous
Sun - Sun
Thy dawning is beautiful in the horizon of heaven, oh living Aton beginning of life
Judgment - Pluto
At the round earths imagined corners blow you trumpets Angels and arise, arise. From death your numberless infinities of souls
World - Saturn
Dance then wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of Dance said he
Back to top Go down
Prettybirds

Prettybirds

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 9:22 am

Laughing cheers Razz

Interesting that you would pick Barbara Streisand. I have been enthralled with her for years. I have to say though that this is most 80s I've ever heard her sound....how interesting.

You have found a friend and a sounding board with me. Don't ever feel silly, obligated or in constraints with me. flower

Birds
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 9:40 am

yeah, ..... mama sang tenor!
you know how my new age started, doncha Question Arrow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning lifes lessons eh?   Learning lifes lessons eh? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Learning lifes lessons eh?
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next