BreakAwayForum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BreakAwayForum

Break away from mind confines and be Free to explore yourself and us all

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 6:38 am

lightsun:

if this gallery is opened with a recognizable purpose here and now, then i41 can only pick up your intent to do so. i know the pictures, they are a major part of "my" inherited culture; i cannot abolish or forget that.

i can examine my own likes and dislikes and look for their "deeper" meaning, perhaps arrive at an origin, but just as well at a conclusion of it all being a game and/or an illusion.

personally, i often wish i could stop the flood of materialized pictures so new ones could arise in my, or in our, minds... so communications would become more clear and direct again, like it must have been in the days of our ancients..
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Greek mythological historical perspective   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 1:10 pm

lavender orchid. I grew up loving myths of all cultures. I know what the white
man/people have done, or at least in part, what they have done to each other
and to those weaker. In spirit mountain, I wrote down a speech from Chief
Seattle. It is haunting, powerful, depressing, sad, and can instill anger.
I personally have not witnessed the holocausts perpetrated by the white race.
I am not Jewish. How would I feel about a Nazi museum? Would I still be able to
experience German culture?
I am mad at religion. I am not a Christian, but love the teachings of Jesus. I also
love the mythology, stories, and movies such as the Ten Commandments. I love
larger than life figures, and overcoming great odds.
The Greeks gave us philosophy, art, tragedies, democracy, beauty, comedies and
much more. They can not be held accountable for what their descendants did
2,500 years later. Also, the Greeks have not been a major player on the world
stage since the fall of the Byzantine empire at the hands of the turks.
This museum is to showcase the rich myths of the Greek, Hellenistic, and
Renaissance spirit. It also is an exploration of art, of genius, and yes of the best
in culture. It is an exploration of the art styles of the giants in art of the past
500 years. I love all culture, history, & myth, whether it be Chinese , Japanese, or
whatever. I also quite frankly love Scandinavian, Celtic, & other myths.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 3:25 pm

lightsun:

our exchanges - absent the different degrees of indoctrination - can become only better and more delightful.
i have always enjoyed reading. this has culminated in a deep interest in communications and understanding (psyche).

why should you remain mad at religion? and not at the factual ab- and misuse of it by gross ignorance that went on autopilot, imho?

different cultures are owed to the people who shaped them, not primarily detectable in the material artefacts left to posterity. from that viewpoint i approach the prevalence of "native" and "ancient" cultures, as well as an adequate expression for this approach: personal, individual, senses intact.

i think i have developed a dislike for "heroes". Embarassed scratch

here's one of four baroque churches, built in the 16th century, in the philippines, declared world cultural heritage by unesco:
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 1402875692_a7822a8376

see what i mean?

elephant

Last edited by lavender orchid on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 3:29 pm

lavender orchid wrote:
i think i have developed a dislike for "heroes".
Heroes often come across as two-dimensional, impossibly perfect, larger than life. I generally prefer "anti-heroes", protagonists who are visibly flawed, but nonetheless strive to do "the right thing". They are much more interesting, realistic, and easier to relate to.

Anger at anything other than a sentient being would seem misplaced.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Romana wrote:
lavender orchid wrote:
i think i have developed a dislike for "heroes".
Heroes often come across as two-dimensional, impossibly perfect, larger than life. I generally prefer "anti-heroes", protagonists who are visibly flawed, but nonetheless strive to do "the right thing". They are much more interesting, realistic, and easier to relate to.

Anger at anything other than a sentient being would seem misplaced.

Smile

statics and dynamics of ideals and idols seem to be necessary in younger years.
seem to have been necessary, i would like to say today.

anger i still cannot avoid. but its direction at sentient beings is no longer "feasable": as a friend, i can understand the "other", but settling differences needs non-physical, and lately also non-virtual confrontation, imho.
abstract?
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: greek mythology   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Very, interesting discussion, lavender orchid and Romana. I guess i'll respond to lavender orchid,
first. lavender orchid wrote these quotes : Our relationship "...become only better and more delightful."
I agree lavender. I especially liked your comments now, or rather found them interesting and thought
stimulating. In a weird way you inspired me to get into art. I have a number of art and speeches
now by Native Americans. " Religion "...not..the factual ab-and misuse of it by gross ignorance that
event..." I suppose I must make myself clearer to you and Romana. Of course, it is the acts of those
who have claimed to follow Christ's footsteps. I.E., the Spanish Inquisition, the horrors perpetrated by
the Christian crusaders on not only Muslims, but their fellow Christians as well. As if that ought to
make a difference. The KKK and the Neo-Nazis claim Christianity. (1). I take knowledge from the bible.
Let us say Psalms or The Gospel of John. So in this sense I do not hate religion. I take the best from it,
and leave the rest out. (2). I respect people when they come to me with their religion, even if I don't
believe their beliefs. I.E., a couple of Jehovah Witnesses come to me and I enter on respectful,
courteous, humane dialogue with them. (3). So I do not act on any anger I may have deep in a
sub-conscious, I may have. "...cultures are owed to the people who shaped them..." This is very wise.
Let people who live their cultures, truly experience it, their culture. Nonetheless, eons away, we can
benefit, marvel, be inspired by the cultures that have gone in the past. Perhaps, past cultures are as
a lingering perfume, which we still can appreciate. As for your shared 16th century baroque church in
the philippines. It is truly beautiful. In fact, if you wish to share other cultural treasures, from time to
time, here on this site-please feel free to do so. I would appreciate it very much. You have inspired me
in past and present. You no doubt will continue to do so in the future. As far as physical violence, "...
differences needs non-physical..." I could not agree more, my friend, as well as inspiration.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 6:07 pm

lightsun wrote:
Very, interesting discussion, lavender orchid and Romana. I guess i'll respond to lavender orchid,
first. lavender orchid wrote these quotes : Our relationship "...become only better and more delightful."
I agree lavender. I especially liked your comments now, or rather found them interesting and thought
stimulating. In a weird way you inspired me to get into art. I have a number of art and speeches
now by Native Americans. " Religion "...not..the factual ab-and misuse of it by gross ignorance that
event..." I suppose I must make myself clearer to you and Romana. Of course, it is the acts of those
who have claimed to follow Christ's footsteps. I.E., the Spanish Inquisition, the horrors perpetrated by
the Christian crusaders on not only Muslims, but their fellow Christians as well. As if that ought to
make a difference. The KKK and the Neo-Nazis claim Christianity. (1). I take knowledge from the bible.
Let us say Psalms or The Gospel of John. So in this sense I do not hate religion. I take the best from it,
and leave the rest out. (2). I respect people when they come to me with their religion, even if I don't
believe their beliefs. I.E., a couple of Jehovah Witnesses come to me and I enter on respectful,
courteous, humane dialogue with them. (3). So I do not act on any anger I may have deep in a
sub-conscious, I may have. "...cultures are owed to the people who shaped them..." This is very wise.
Let people who live their cultures, truly experience it, their culture. Nonetheless, eons away, we can
benefit, marvel, be inspired by the cultures that have gone in the past. Perhaps, past cultures are as
a lingering perfume, which we still can appreciate.
As for your shared 16th century baroque church in
the philippines. It is truly beautiful. In fact, if you wish to share other cultural treasures, from time to
time, here on this site-please feel free to do so. I would appreciate it very much. You have inspired me
in past and present. You no doubt will continue to do so in the future. As far as physical violence, "...
differences needs non-physical..." I could not agree more, my friend, as well as inspiration.

sending perfume... lilies of the valley?? santa
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Mythological   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi. Darn it, i'm not getting message alerts anymore. I used to love it. I'd be beeped by a response. Do you and
Romana, get a message alert still? As, I said, the above perspectives were interesting, you inspirational muse. sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 6:20 pm

lightsun wrote:
Hi. Darn it, i'm not getting message alerts anymore. I used to love it. I'd be beeped by a response. Do you and
Romana, get a message alert still? As, I said, the above perspectives were interesting, you inspirational muse. sunny

solar winds or any other turbulencesVery Happy?
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Mythology :   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 8:08 pm

I do not know lavender sunny Very Happy flower orchid, and your guess is as good as mine. I alerted the
universe. How are you doing? I wish you a good weekend.
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 12:06 am

lightsun wrote:
I do not get message alerts, but then I never have. I think I have set my profile not to send them. I simply check for PMs when I log in. (By the way, I sent you a PM yesterday, but it is still in my outbox, though you have been online since then. I wonder if something is wrong - usually they move to the sent box when the recipient logs in, or at least that was how it worked at SM.)
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Mythology   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 1:22 am

Oh. Romana, I did not know. I apologize. I love hearing your messages. I've always gotten beeped
when you, or anyone sent me a pm or a message response. I'll have to rewrite it. I wrote here a long
response to your quotes above. I lost it in cyber-space. I must have pushed the wrong button.
I wish you a happy 1st of November then. Since, I lost my post here to you, I feel/want to write
something. I was not going to post it but here is what November is to certain Native Americans.
November is the Wishram Moon month & means : Snowy-Mountains-in-the-Morning Moon.
It takes a certain mind set & concentration for me to respond to my level of satisfaction.
So i'll get back to those quotes at a later time & rewrite a response.
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2009 7:50 pm

There is no need to apologize. The idiosyncrasies of these various forums are not always transparent. I certainly do not mean to rush you in answering. I am simply used to seeing pm's move to my sentbox, reassuring me that they have been presented to the recipient. It seemed odd that this one was lingering in the outbox.

Do you celebrate 1 November? Astronomical Samhain is 6 November this year, but for convenience we will celebrate next weekend. Tonight we had Beggar's Night in our new neighborhood for the first time. There were more children than in the old one. We ran out of candy.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: greek mythology   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 6:48 am

Romana's quotes : "I certainly do not mean to rush you in answers." Romana, I
enjoy responding to you. I just need quiet time. There are some posts I can make
that are lighter in nature. For a serious response, it requires time on my part.
"I am simply used to seeing pm's move to my sent box, reassuring me that they
have been presented to the recipient." I have to check my phone. I had it set up
to receive messages, and ping me. Something happened, so you can use my email
address, and I will be notified. "...you celebrate 1 November?" Alas, I am an introvert
plus dealing with depression. I have yet to find and connect with a group here.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Greek Mythology   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 7:32 am

These are Romana's quotes to the discussion started by lavender orchid. This is in
regard to heroes : "...come across as two-dimensional, ...perfect, larger than life."and "I generally
prefer 'anti-heroes." protagonists who are visibly flawed, but nonetheless strives to do 'the right
thing.' They are much more interesting, realistic, and easier to relate to." Ah we are all different
and with different senses. Why would we have so many genres of books, movies, entertainment,
etc?" Why do we have a need for horror, romance, musical, science fiction, fantasy, historical, etc?"
Obviously these genres appeal to different people. I believe that we can only see segments of reality.
In Myers Briggs, we have 16 different sub-types. I'll be Frank ; i'm personally not to fond of musicals,
Shakespeare, westerns, wrestling, horror slasher films. Yet, they appeal go certain people. They can
see something, I can't and thus benefit in some manner. It is, to a degree, (as long as you do not hurt
another, or infringe on their rights) a live and let live philosophy. I have these feelings, but I do not act
upon them. You are very rational, Romana. You are an INTJ. I am an INFP. We are both, supposedly rare.
Only in the 1% rannge of the population. It makes sense that we may be attracted to, at the very least,
a different spectrum of reality. We can have interests that may help facilitate our growth process and of
being more happy and productive. As for realism. I love ordinary people being put in daunting
circumstances, and yet persevere. At my sm thread of movies, I had examples of My Left Foot,
Lorenzo's Oil, Born Free, I Will Fight No More Forever and many more. "Anger at anything other
than a sentient being would seem misplaced." I have described in an above post that it (1). is one my
disgust at the depravity of man and how they commit all manner of evil in God's and Jesus name.
So in a sense I am quite frankly angry at the hypocrisy of man, and the evil they do. (2). I believe that
religion's can stop a person from critically thinking and questioning. Religion for me was meant to
be a guide and a general direction. It wad not meant to be rigid and controlling. In effect brainwashing
the unaware and the innocent. Those who have not yet mastered critical thinking skills.
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 7:53 pm

lightsun wrote:
Ah we are all different and with different senses. Why would we have so many genres of books, movies, entertainment, etc?" Why do we have a need for horror, romance, musical, science fiction, fantasy, historical, etc?" Obviously these genres appeal to different people. I believe that we can only see segments of reality. In Myers Briggs, we have 16 different sub-types. I'll be Frank ; i'm personally not to fond of musicals, Shakespeare, westerns, wrestling, horror slasher films. Yet, they appeal go certain people. They can see something,
Indeed. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. There are genres like rap music, for instance, that I can appreciate without personally enjoying. As with many genres, much of it is drivel, but I see in it the capacity for artistic expression, and disagree with those who dismiss it entirely as junk. I cannot understand, however, those who content themselves with the drivel within the various artistic genres. As you say, live and let live. Perhaps our tastes truly are odd.
lightsun wrote:
I believe that religion's can stop a person from critically thinking and questioning. Religion for me was meant to be a guide and a general direction. It wad not meant to be rigid and controlling. In effect brainwashing the unaware and the innocent. Those who have not yet mastered critical thinking skills.
I have no patience with those who claim a religious faith without careful consideration, following it perhaps only because they were raised in that church. I am puzzled by those who follow a rigid, illogical faith while claiming to have analyzed it critically. Am I missing something, or are they? I do not understand how intelligent, educated people can follow narrow-minded, dogmatic religions, but they do. I have a student now who falls into this category. He claims to be open to questioning everything about his rather fundamentalist Christian belief system, but frames the questions in what seem to me to be untenable terms. For instance, either the story of Noah and the flood was completely historically accurate, or it has no meaning whatsoever and is just plain wrong. The concept of a figurative truth seems to elude him.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Dionysus (Bacchus) god of revelry and wine   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 2:08 am

Dionysu (Bacchus) god of revelry and wine
Bacchus and Ariadne by Guido Reni
*The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Bacchus-And-Ariadne

Last edited by lightsun on Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: wGreek mythological figure   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 2:22 am

Bellerophon on Pegasus (Detail) 1746-47 by Giovanni Battista Tiepolo The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Bellerophon-on-Pegasus-(detail-1)-1746-47
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Greek mythology   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 2:34 am

Ariadne 1898 by John William WaterhouseThe gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Ariadne--1898-large
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Hercules son of Zeus   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 2:41 am

Hercules and Omphale 1735 by Francois BoucherThe gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Hercules-and-Omphale-1735
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Apollo (Sol) god of light ; poetry ; music   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 2:48 am

Marcantonio Pasquilini Crowned by Apollo by Andrea SacchiThe gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Marcantonio-Pasquilini-Crowned-By-Apollo
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Greek Mythology   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 1:18 am

Daedalus and Icarus by Lord Frederick Leighton
*The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Daedalus-And-Icarus-large
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Greek Mythology   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 1:42 am

Danae and the Shower of God by Leon Francois Comerre
*The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Danae-And-The-Shower-Of-Gold
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Hercules son of Zeus   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 1:50 am

Hercules demigod
The Drunken Hercules c.1611 by Peter Paul Rubens
*The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 The-Drunken-Hercules-c.-1611

Last edited by lightsun on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Dionysus (Bacchus) god of wine and revelry   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 2:38 am

Dionysus (Bacchus) god of wine and revelry
Baccjus c.1524 by Dosso Dossi
*The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Bacchus-c.-1524
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next