BreakAwayForum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BreakAwayForum

Break away from mind confines and be Free to explore yourself and us all

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage

The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:59 am

what are Romana's impressions after this performance?
may i ask?
Back to top Go down

The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:12 am

venus
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Venus703
http://library.thinkquest.org/C0115361/planets%20mythology.html
Back to top Go down
Romana
Community Developer
Community Developer
Romana

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 2:45 pm

lavender orchid wrote:
what are Romana's impressions after this performance?
may i ask?
You may always ask. I had not seen any of the Ivan the Terrible ballet before finding this link to post. I was familiar with Prokofiev's music, though, and that was what I wanted to share here. The ballet version was the most readily available on youtube, however. The music was originally written for Sergei Eisenstein's film about Ivan, then later adapted into a choral cantata, the only version I have heard in its entirety.

I am much more attuned to music than to dance. My strongest impressions thus come from the music itself, in which I hear the theme for Anastasia revisited, but in ways that are incomplete, broken, dissonant, interwoven with other melodies, corresponding to the fact that the woman herself, Ivan's beloved wife, is now dead and forever lost to him except for memories. Legend has it that Anastasia was poisoned by nobles, adding to the trauma of the experience for Ivan. The ballet imagery conveys this in a way that is much more stylized and abstract than in the film. I think I prefer the cantata version in which the whole story must be carried by the music. The visuals are almost distracting, but perhaps that is just how I am used to hearing this piece.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 6:58 am

thank you, Romana!
for giving so much of an "account" of yourself, even when inspired by a tragic story and ticked off by a largely unknown community.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: greek gods and goddesses   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 4:48 pm

That is a beautiful picture of Venus. I have found out something that I was not aware of at first.
That is Ivan the Terrible's wife was of the Romanov line and thus her son as well.
Ivan's wife died. He apparently went mad after the fact though there were disturbing variables
in his upbringing. And as I alluded to earlier Ivan killed his own son and this ended his own dynasty.
It was not until later that the Romanov Dynasty of Russia came into full power.
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Zeus (Jupiter) King of the gods   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Zeus (Jupiter) king of the gods
Jupiter and Callisto 1613 by Peter Paul Rubens The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 DC5GD00Z
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Heracles (Hercules) demi god   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:24 pm

Heracles (Hercules) son of Zeus, king of the gods
Hercules Fighting the Nemean Lion by Peter Paul Rubens The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 VE5GD00Z
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Achilles hero   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 7:16 am

Achilles Defeating Hector 1630-32
by Peter Paul Rubens The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 4TJRD00Z
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Achilles hero   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 7:28 am

Tethys Bringing Arms to Achilles 1630
by Peter Paul Rubens The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 V1QEF00Z
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Perseus hero   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 7:35 am

Perseus Liberating Andromeda c.1630
by Peter Paul Rubens The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 627GD00Z
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:42 pm

"renaissances" throughout recorded history all had their special agendas directing eyesight...

once more, haides & persephone
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 K14.5Haides
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 K14.6Haides
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 pm

The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Logo

in understanding the greco-roman cosmologies, it might help to use a list of the greek gods and goddesses, their possible cultural sources and meanings of their names:

http://www.fjkluth.com/glist.html
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Greek god & goddesses   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:34 am

lavender orchid thank you. I shall add as a bookmark your listed web site. I do
have trouble with organization. You have so much data. All of which is pertinent.
I love wisdom, knowledge both you have provided. I thank you much. sunny flower sunny
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:06 pm

^ I love you
life on mars:
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 LifeOnMarsBARC_468x290
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_%28mythology%29

(tracing the tenet of mars being the lover of venus..)

http://www.purplehell.com/riddletools/egods.htm#top
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Greek   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 10:24 pm

Indeed, Aphrodite (Venus) the goddess of love had a long affair with Aries(Mars) the god of war. The first names listed previously are the Greek version and the names in parenthesis is the Roman name equivalent. Meanwhile Aphrodite was married to Hephaestus (Vulcan) the blacksmith of the gods who was reportedly ugly, thus it was a marriage between beauty and the beast.

As a side note. Interested viewers of this thread should check out Peter Paul Rubens art work as well. He did many mythological theme pictures of art. I just didn't know if I would make duplicates at both threads. As the art work is equally applicable to both
sites.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:52 am

neptune
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 NeptuneL
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Neptunest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jhrgz54lQg
excursion into antedeluvian errata
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 8:08 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neptune_%28mythology%29
poseidon
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 AmasisCdMLuynes678

Last edited by lavender orchid on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: graeco-roman gods & godssseas   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 9:49 am

Oh my God, more beautiful pictures. In fact I am going to download Neptune/Poseidon and save.
Thank you for sharing. The image is startling beautiful. Art is so wonderful. sunny I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 10:06 am

lease with ease..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxsEquPUavk
\!! sunny
(past earlier arrivals..)
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 460px-Etruscan_mural_typhon2
etruscan mural: typhon
Back to top Go down
lightsun
Ocean crosser
Ocean crosser
lightsun

PostSubject: Greek   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 1:21 am

Thanks I did not truly have a picture of Typhon. He was the child of Gaia and all the gods & goddesses feared him. Tt Typhon captured Zeus. I believe it was Hermes who rescued Zeus. Eventually the Olympian gods under Zeus finally defeated the titans but they needed help from some of Gaia's other children.

Typhon had a hundred serpentine heads, each equipped with a flickering tongue and eyes that shot flames. He had wings and his body was encircled with snakes. And just to make matters worse, this guy was huge! Spreading his arms, one arm reached all the way to the west, and the other reached all the way to the east.
Thanks lavender : I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 11:13 pm

here comes echo, greek nymph, who fell in love with narcissus...
unhappy ending, needless to say, only voice still reverberating....

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Shocked
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Echo-of-a-nude-gesture-darwin-leon
http://thanasis.com/echo.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

selene, titan goddess of the moon
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 T18.1Selene
http://www.theoi.com/Titan/Selene.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 1:13 pm

prometheus
The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Agesmancreation3807
prometheus watches as athena gives a soul to the moulded man The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Chouettes-01
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 8:24 am

march 09

The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Etruscan-salii_th

on this day, the ancient romans continued to celebrate the festival of mars. as part of the occasion, the priests known as salii (from verb salire to leap), who were appointed for life, carried shield, called ancilia, throughout the city, while they danced, sang hymns for janus and other gods, and hit the shields with their wapons (swords and spears or some sort of stuff).

the pictures shows a shield with an etruscan salii motif.

any carryovers into modern and post-modern habit patterns, apart from folklore?
\!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 1:23 pm

The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Mplato

plato's real name was aristocles.
when his father brought him to study with socrates, the great skeptic declared that on the previous night he had dreamed of a white swan, which was an omen that his new disciple was to become one of the world's illumined.
there is [also] a tradition that the immortal plato was sold as a slave by the king of sicily.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world   The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The gods and goddesses & mythological figures of the graeco-roman world
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7